Saturday, February 27, 2016

Gever Tulley: 5 dangerous things you should let your kids do

I think you will find this TED talk very interesting, the things he talks about I did as a kid, as I am sure many of you did. I was given a pocket knife at a very early age, & do not recall ever cutting myself. Before I received a knife & was allowed to play with fire, this was about age 4 years. I may have burnt myself, but I don't recall. 

Much later when I was about 8 or 9, I was involved in an incident in a hay field where a fire was lit to burn an area in our camp where a rat tail had been found. There were 4 of us boys, & we agreed that we would light the fire & control it by stamping it out before it spread. But this fire scared the other three boys so much they ran off. The fire quickly spread & to put it out I had no choice but to role in it. I singed my eyebrows off completely & part of my hair & of course my clothing, but I put the fire out.

Perhaps looking back on it now, the reason I was able to do this was because fire was no stranger to me. Since then I have been in a couple of bush fires, & I will admit that it scared the hell out of me, but I stuck with it & kept it clear of our house & my young boy sitting patiently waiting for me to return.

Needless to say, I agree with Gever Tulley in this video.

Keith.





No comments:

Post a Comment