What steps can we take to protect the environment at home level?
1) Turn off the coal power mains electricity to your home & install solar power.
2) Use any fossil fuel motor vehicles as little as possible.
3) Grow your own food (if you are keeping ducks in the garden you will need to use raised garden beds or fence sections off & let the ducks in during off season).
4) Keep chooks & ducks for eggs & meat.
5) Free range your ducks in the garden area to kill the slogs & snails.
6) Start a compost heap in your garden.
7) Feed all your veggie scraps to the chooks & ducks, or, add them to you compost heap.
8) Grow fruit trees & bushes.
9) Remove your water toilets & install composting toilets.
10)Install a grey water system that takes the water from the laundry, bathroom & kitchen into deep trenches under you garden beds.
11) Purchase & install rainwater storage tanks for house & garden & turn off the mains water supply to your home. If you need to conserve water, use containers in your kitchen sink for washing up & use this water on your trees.
12) Recycle as much as possible yourself as recycling collection by the council may be just going into landfill!
13) Try & avoid purchasing food items in plastic wrap.
14)Try & avoid purchasing anything in plastic bottles, choose glass over plastic.
15) DO NOT purchase or accept any single use plastic items.
16)Choose glass or ceramic containers over plastic when practical.
17) DO NOT purchase poisons to kill weeds. Either dig them up by hand or use urine.
18) Only purchase environmentally friendly washing soaps.
19)DO NOT use spray cans of insect repellent or air fresheners.
20) DO NOT burn coal.
21) DO NOT burn gas.
22) Install a wood burning cook stove ( & heater if you need to heat the house). Burning wood does create carbon emissions, but not as much as coal, gas or using mains electricity. If you plant trees this should offset these carbon emissions.
23) DO NOT use an incinerator; put all biodegradables such as lawn grass cuttings, weeds, leaves etc in the compost heap.
24) Avoid purchasing anything that has to be transported by truck, ship or plane.
25) Avoid flying anywhere.
26) Use a push mower if you have lawns to mow. A better option is to turn your lawn into a veggie garden.
27) Purchase second hand where you can.
28) Move out of the city & live off grid if you can.